Washington suspends security Assistance to Pakistan


The US government has suspended the assistance to Pakistan regarding Security over claims of failure by Islamabad to clamp down on terrorist organizations adequately within the borders of Pakistan. This move was made in a statement that was released by the US State Department on Thursday. The Spokesperson of the State Department, Heather Nauert noted that the US government would seize the transfer of funding that is related to security and stop the delivery of military machinery to the government of Pakistan.

Nauert continued to say that the American government was still the value of assistance to the Pakistani government in the fight against global terrorism. A senior official from the State Department told reporters after the groundbreaking announcement that the funding determination would be encompassing the financing of foreign military missions to the tune of $225 million in the 2016 financial year. The amount’s disbursement was pending after an announcement by the government that it would be withheld together other unspent funds from the previous financial years and coalition support financing. The official also said the State Department was still working on the more exquisite details of the funding that was going to be captured in the $225 million.

When you look back at history, the American government has provided Pakistan with an annual security assistance worth more than $1 billion. Some of those funds have been withheld while others have already been disbursed for the 2016 financial year. However, the funds in financial, military aid to Pakistan that has been withheld may be summed up to $1 billion. Both the Obama and Trump administrations had previously ordered the withholding of $350 million in the 2016 financial year for the money that was meant to fund the coalition support. The decision to withhold funds by these two administrations was due to concerns that the Pakistani government had made little to no efforts of going after Haqqani and Taliban Fighters in their jurisdiction.

One of the spokespersons for the Pentagon, Commander Patrick Evans said that the announcement to withhold the funding sent to Pakistan annually also included money that was supposed to be disbursed in the 2017 financial year which is estimated to be to the tune of $900 million. Evans told CNN that pending deliveries and security assistance funding would be withheld but not canceled. He said that the US government would continue to pressure Pakistan in the hope that Islamabad will take decisive action against the militant groups and terrorist organizations that pose a threat to the United States’ national security.