Canada and the US Set Top Host the Meeting on North Korea

0

Canada and the United States will Host an international meeting of foreign relations ministers from 24 countries in Vancouver to discuss the nuclear threat posed by North Korea on Tuesday this week. The meeting is set to deliberate on imposing tighter economic sanctions that will starve the repressive regime in Pyongyang and force them to abandon their nuclear missile program which will be by efforts to denuclearize the Korean peninsula. The summit for the foreign ministers is being held at a critical time when tensions between Pyongyang, Seoul, and Washington are at their highest.

The attention of diplomats and foreign relations experts has been absorbed by the new line of communication that was set by Kim Jong Un along the demilitarized zone and the delicate talks that are set to see a delegation from North Korea sent to Pyeongchang for the Winter Olympics. Some of the analysts on the Korean peninsula have remained skeptical that anything significant will result from the meetings in Vancouver under US leadership. Joel Wit from the US-Korea Institute at John Hopkins said that he is positive that the diplomats and foreign dignitaries who attend the meeting in Canada will be very careful with their public speech given the tensions that are currently rocking the volatile region of North Korea. He added that it would not be advisable for the foreign relations ministers to have the apple cart upset in any form or fashion.

Wit said that the dignitaries should commit their discussions to be in support of what the government of South Korea under president Moon is trying to accomplish by accepting to negotiate with Pyongyang. The Trump administration is however confident that it can leverage on the Vancouver meeting on Tuesday to pile more peaceful pressure on North Korea through additional economic embargo. The maximum campaign pressure by America and her allies is partly responsible for the willingness of Pyongyang to re-establish communication with Seoul which had been cut for 24 months since the December of 2015. The US Secretary of Defence, James Mattis who is also the de-facto deputy commander-in-chief as well as the US State Department secretary Rex Tillerson will attend the meeting.

The diplomatic efforts that have been the approach taken by the State Secretary have been at times frustrated by his boss, President Trump’s attitude, and bellicose rhetoric. President Trump has repeatedly said that they would be no meaningful deliberations on a peace accord between Pyongyang and Washington if Kim did not abandon his nuclear missile program first.

LEAVE A REPLY