Eric Lefkofsky, an influential and experienced tech developer, has turned his attentions toward working for a cause. As the co-founder and CEO of Tempus, Lefkofsky hopes to develop an infrastructure that would modernize cancer treatment by collecting and analyzing clinical and molecular. Utilizing powerful technology and a specially designed operating system, Tempus is able to sequence molecular data gathered from patients and provide analysis and reporting that could uncover valuable information.
The Tempus operating system seeks to provide valuable information to physicians seeking to improve their cancer care and advance their research.
Tempus provides an interactive analytical and machine learning platform. In addition to building the world’s largest library of clinical and molecular data, it also works to analyze that data and provide genomic sequencing. Ultimately, the goal is to improve the advancement of treatment by collecting and analyzing data from previous patients and allowing physicians and researchers the opportunity to study that data and use it to inform treatment decisions. Essentially, Tempus would make cancer research more efficient by harnessing the power of data.
A Data-Driven Approach to Cancer Treatment
Tempus is in its early start-up phase, but with the expert guidance of Eric Lefkofsky and a talented team of experts in tech and science fields, the early results are promising.
Tempus seeks to create the world’s largest library of molecular and clinical data. It also provides an operating system that can be used to access and make sense of that data, making it useful to physicians and researchers outside of the tech field. The program would provide:
– Sequencing: Utilizing both genomic and transcriptomic sequencing, the program would help doctors obtain a better understanding of the underlying genetic information related to tumors.
– Analytics: Both molecular and clinical data can be viewed and analyzed together, offering doctors greater opportunities for personalized treatment plans.
– Reporting: The company offers detailed reports based upon patient history and data. These reports can provide insights to physicians working on a case.
Tempus is partnered with Mayo Clinic, Rush University Medical Center, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and others.
About Eric Lefkofsky
Eric Lefkofsky is one of Chicago’s best-known and most successful serial entrepreneurs. Born in Detroit, Michigan, he would go on to attend University of Michigan and begin dabbling in sales and entrepreneurship at an early age. Beginning in 1999, Lefkofsky began to build a number of companies and start-ups, each effort built upon the knowledge and experience gained from the last.
Some of the companies Lefkofsky has been involved in include:
– InnerWorkings: A company specializing in print and promotional solutions available worldwide.
– Groupon: An e-commerce marketplace that connects subscribers in more than 28 countries worldwide with local businesses and merchants.
– Echo Global Logistics: An outsourcing firm for transportation and logistics, with a focus on technological solutions.
– Mediaocean: One of the leading providers of integrated media procurement technology.
– Uptake Technologies: A predictive analytics platform that works with a number of companies in industries worldwide.
Lefkofsky’s long history of successful entrepreneurship has provided the essential background of tech and business acumen necessary to see success in future endeavors like Tempus.
The Lefkofsky Foundation and Charitable Giving
As of 2006, Lefkofsky and his wife developed the Lefkofsky Foundation. This organization is a charitable trust created with the purpose of supporting important causes both locally and worldwide. Over the past decade, the foundation has helped to fund more than 50 causes and organizations, running the gamut from scientific organizations to the arts. Aside from his support of cancer research, Lefkofsky has given to causes and organizations like the Art Institute of Chicago and the Museum of Science and Industry and World Business.
In addition to his business and philanthropic efforts, Lefkofsky works as an adjunct professor at the University of Chicago. For more information on Lefkofsky, visit his website at lefkofsky.com.